I want to go to MY OWN school!
- Share this project
1. What we will do:
We want to build the first classroom of our own school building. We are a self-managed education cooperative operating in a rented house. The local government donated us a plot of land and now we appeal to the cooperative spirit in order to start the construction of our own workplace. This is our first step.
2. THE CONCEPT OF "TRANSFORMATION"
Starting the construction of our own school gets us a little closer to the institutional goal that guides us since the beginning: to accomplish the official recognition of our educational institution and to make it more affordable for local residents. We have already fulfilled the educational objective (more than 50 children have graduated so far), but we need to have our own building.
Our educational experience is transformative: we prioritize team work, the development of physical skills, an experiential approach to knowledge, art as a common core element in all areas, cooperation and solidarity as the basis for expression and participation. It is an active, living school model.
• The model we have chosen for our institution is that of a cooperative, in alignment with our ideals of participation and social involvement. The spirit of our project is based on the value of the commons; we believe that an educational institution should not be for profit. Our school is supported by the work and contribution of nearly 100 families, self-managed events that we organize each year and the sporadic contribution from different organizations.3. WHY WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT
With your support, we will fund the preparation of the construction site, part of the labor and the acquisition of the building materials for the classroom. Every year, we organize fundraising events and activities open to the community to support the daily activities of our school. This new building –apart from being available for the courses themselves– will facilitate the organization of this kind of events.
But your contribution is part of something bigger – in addition to supporting an alternative education institution, you are helping to maintain the jobs of those who choose to be part of an educational cooperative.
Our history is written by joint efforts, and we want it to continue that way. We believe in this.4. WHAT WE WILL USE THE FUNDS FOR
• Leveling work on the ground.
• Building materials for the first module (6 x 6 m [20 x 20 ft]) and a bathroom, with door and windows, and electrical installation. Features: wooden rafters and columns, concrete walls, three large windows, one door. Sloped roof: zinc sheet, wooden ceiling and insulating materials.
• Labor (2 people).
• Part of the work is expected to be carried out by the families of our community.
The site, today.5. IN CASE WE SUCCEED, HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE US TO COMPLETE OUR PROJECT?
The estimated time for the construction work is three months.
This means that, in 2016, the elementary level groups will be able to use the classroom for their daily activities.